Friday, February 7, 2014

Interlaced Rings of Respect and Unity by Christepher Wee

Interlaced Rings of Respect and Unity by Christepher Wee



Photo by David Buzzard / www.davidbuzzard.com

Mr. Gay Canada Christepher Wee, centre, and other WinterPride visitors drape a rainbow flag over the Olympic rings in Whistler Olympic Plaza on Friday (Jan. 31).

Thank-you to my new family of brothers who stood side-by-side with me
to voice our message of equality and unity at Whistler's Olympic Rings.


In my address to the Press and judges at Mr. Gay Canada, I quoted
Desmond Tutu "If you are neutral in institutions of injustice, you have
chosen the side of the oppressor."


Many parts of the world has come so far in its human rights movement
because of those who exercised their voices and those who continue to let
their voices be heard.


We as Canadians have always been in the fore front of human rights
movements and progressive implementations of programs. I know that
together we can continue to lead and influence the world and leave a
legacy all Canadians and citizens of the World can be proud of.


We five in this photo stood proudly as Canadians with our rainbow flags in
hand draped through the Olympic Rings of respect and world unity.


If we stand together as one Nation, one World and one Voice, perhaps we
can change the minds of some politicians in one country.


I am proud and grateful to be Canadian because those before me
bestowed upon me the freedom of speech I have today and the right to
live as who I am.


I stand by all those around the world, as I know my new brothers also do,
who are exercising their voices now to ask for our brothers' and sisters’
freedom to live without fear and to be embraced for their diversity.


Just like we never let the Olympic Flames extinguish and the interlaced
Rings be broken, we should never let our voices be silenced when it
comes to injustice and speaking up for everyone's human rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment