Friday, February 7, 2014

Mr. Gay Canada 2014

Mr Gay Canada 2014

AUTHOR: Avalanche EventsDATE: February 07, 2014
TAGS: PrideMGCEngageWorld
My journey to becoming Mr. Gay Canada 2014
- Christepher Wee (MGC 2014)
When I was asked to write about my journey to becoming Mr. Gay Canada, I sat on my couch reflecting and looking through all the photos, journal entries, notes, and posts in social media of my WinterPride and MGC experiences.
Little did I know that everything I had done in my life up to the point of the MGC competition was a preparation in itself for this event. Besides the research and preparation work pertaining directly to the competition, I also planned for what I intended to do after the competition regardless of the results.
My primary goal for the competition was to expand on my network for community work and make new connections to help me reach out to the charities and platform I wished to work for and contribute to. My self expectations were to learn, grow, broaden my knowledge, develop friendships and bonds that will stay with me through time.
From our first rehearsal with Marek for our line-dancing challenge at Buffalo Bills, public speaking seminar with Michelle Leroux, the presentation on International LGBTQ Human Rights and Refugee situation by Chris Morrisey of Rainbow Refugee, the heartfelt stories of the many refugee volunteers who came to share their journeys with us, our presentation to the press and judges, panel judging, fashion show rehearsals for the finals, to the events and parties we attended, these are all experiences and learnings I will cherish and share here after.
I went into the competition without any expectations of winning, so I was not only surprised to win the title but that I also won all the other awards, People’s Choice Award, Best National Costume, and Mr. Congeniality.
I must thank the overwhelming support of voters all around the world especially in Asia who saw me as their voice and hope for change and progress. As the first Asian Canadian winner of Mr. Gay Canada, I feel so honoured to represent both our LGBTQ community and our Asian communities worldwide.
During my time at the MGC competition, I met many wonderful people who in their own way contributed to WinterPride. I am so grateful to all the volunteers who worked tirelessly to ensure that everyone had a memorable experience. To the Mr. Gay Canada organization, WinterPride organizers and sponsors who made WinterPride and MGC possible, I thank you for giving our LGBTQ community public visibility and presence, and empowering us to make a positive difference. To all the judges, I thank you for bestowing me the honour to represent all Canadians and giving me a visible voice to make a lasting difference.
After winning the title, I attended WinterPride events and parties trying to meet as many people as I could to be a catalyst of positivity in their experience at Whistler. I also proudly lead our WinterPride parade along side brothers and sisters celebrating through Whistler Village with a 50 foot rainbow flag accompanied by many others with rainbow flags in hand.
My most impactful contribution thus far is in support of our brothers and sisters in Russia and Sochi. I along with others of all sexual orientations, braved sub zero degree temperatures in an empowering photo shoot at the Olympic Rings at Whistler's Olympic Plaza. With our 50 foot rainbow flag weaved through the Olympic Rings and rainbow flags in hand, we stood united and strong to send a message of equality, justice, and human rights. Thank you to my new family who shared this momentous occasion with me and praise to Matt Murray and David Buzzard for capturing these powerful images.
As I reflect upon my journey over the last few weeks, it's hard to believe that today I am Mr. Gay Canada 2014. My most cherished memories and experiences come from my newly formed family of brothers (the other delegates), the friends and connections I made, and the wealth of knowledge I acquired. For these, I am most grateful.
In my online People's Choice Award introduction to the world, I wrote I wanted to have a visible voice with more impact for the issues that need to be addressed and the achievements that need to be acknowledged. Now I am honoured with that ability to impact and influence on a scale with unlimited possibilities and opportunities.

I said before that Mr. Gay Canada is a title but what one does behind this title as a human being is what is important. I am extremely excited about the work ahead of me and my vision that I wish to make reality. I hope that I can count on your support in my endeavours so that together we can make a positive difference and leave a legacy we can all be proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment